Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Freshman/Heartbeat controversy
That I'm just now starting, a year after the fact


Check out this pretty interesting article I found on the Rapid Growth Media web-site. The writer interviews former Verve Pipe front man Brian Vander Ark, who currently lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He talks about the current state of the music industry, and more importantly, voices his opinions on what is hurting and helping the midwestern scene.
Read that article HERE.
Incidentally, I have been wanting to mention for the past year how eerily similar the vocals to Verpe Pipe's hit "The Freshman" are to Jose Gonzales/The Knife's "Heartbeat."
I know Verve Pipe's tune came out first. So it just seems to me somewhere along the line everyone has forgotten how Heartbeat could have been inadvertently (purposefully) ripped off? Don't know what I'm talking about?
Listen to The Knife's version: HERE
Listen to Jose Gonzalez's version HERE.
Listen to Verve Pipe's "The Freshman" HERE.

I mean, they are not note for note. It's just that the very first time I heard "Heartbeat" I immediately thought, "Oh yeah, that sounds like "The Freshman'."
Then I soon became utterly surprised, as the entire world suddenly embraced Jose Gonzalez like he was the second coming of Nick Drake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agreed.