Monday, January 28, 2008

Buddha Boy's update


Back by popular demand, I decided to check into our old pal Buddha Boy, or Ram Bahadur Bomjon.
For you newcomers, read the history of him.
Honestly, it's pretty hard to update on our buddy BB. Let's face it, when you have a monk buried in a pit, planning to meditate for the next several years, there is not much to say other than "Still meditating."
Since we last spoke of Buddha Boy, the police were investigating him, scientists were trying to find out if he was a fraud and so he climbed into a pit and began meditating in the middle of the forest.
I discovered the police finally froze the bank accounts, made up of money his followers had donated to his cause. He doesn't use the money, and asked whoever did to use it for a good cause.
The police also went to check out little Bomjon at his pit:
March 26, 2007: Inspector Rameshwor Yadav of the Area Police Post Nijgadh found Bomjon inside a bunker-like square ditch of seven feet. A police team, under the command of Yadav, had gone to the place after word of Bomjon being on underground meditation spread in the area. “His face was clean and hair was combed well,” Yadav said. According to him, “the bunker” has been cemented from all sides with roof of tiles. Indra Lama, a local, who has been deployed as caretaker for him since he began meditation, said the “bunker” was prepared as per Bomjon’s order. “After granting audience a week ago, he expressed his desire to meditate inside the ground; so we built it,” he said.

But the biggest news on Bomjon is that he emerged from his meditation pit and gave a sermon to his followers. His message was peace and he said the only way for the world to attain it is through Dharma - or religious practice.
On August 2, 2007 Bomjon addressed a crowd in the Hallori jungle, Bara district of southern Nepal.
The Namo Buddha Tapoban Committee, a committee that looks after the "modern Buddha", assembled the meeting. The notice about the first ever preaching by the boy was broadcast in a local FM radio station and the committee also invited people by phone. Around three thousand people gathered to listen to Ram Bahadur Bomjom. A video has also surfaced of the event.
Here is the translated speech:
Murder, violence, greed, anger and temptation has made the human world a desperate place. A terrible storm has descended upon the human world, and this is carrying the world towards destruction. There is only one way to save the world and that is through ‘dharma” (religious practice.) When one doesn’t walk the righteous path of religious practice, this desperate world will surely be destroyed. Therefore, follow the path of religion and spread this message to your fellows. Never put obstacles, anger and disbelief in the way of my meditation’s mission. I am only showing you the way; you must seek it on your own. What I will be, what I will do, the coming days will reveal. Human salvation, the salvation of all living beings, and peace in the world are my goal and my path. “Namo Buddha sangaya, Namo Buddha sangaya, namo sangaya.” I am contemplating on the release of this chaotic world from the ocean of emotion, on our detachment from anger and temptation, without straying from the path for even a moment, I am renouncing my own attachment to my life and my home forever, I am working to save all living beings. But in this undisciplined world, my life’s practice is reduced to mere entertainment. The practice and devotion of many Buddhas is directed at the world’s betterment and happiness. It is essential but very difficult to understand that practice and devotion. But though it is easy to lead this ignorant existence, human beings don’t understand that one day we must leave this uncertain world and go with the Lord of Death. Our long attachments with friends and family will dissolve into nothingness. We have to leave behind the wealth and property we have accumulated. What’s the use of my happiness, when those who have loved me from the beginning, my mother, father, brothers, relatives are all unhappy. Therefore, to rescue all sentient beings, I have to be Buddha-mind, and emerge from my underground cave to do “vajra” meditation. To do this I have to realize the right path and knowledge, so do not disturb my practice. My practice detaches me from my body, my soul and this existence. In this situation there will be 72 goddess Kalis. Different gods will be present, along with the sounds of thunder and of “tangur ,” and all the celestial gods and goddesses will be doing “puja” (worship.) So until I have sent a message, do not come here, and please explain this to others. Spread religious knowledge and religious messages throughout the world. Spread the message of world peace to all. Seek a righteous path and wisdom will be yours.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. If you would like to join in on the discussion about Palden Dorje, please come to:

http://groups.google.com/group/buddhaboy

We have a great little group, and are always looking for the latest info about Ram.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love the buddha boy. But I don't don't like religious practice. He's like a stripper--don't open your mouth, just let us gawk at you.

Christopher Animalhead said...

I found it interesting that Buddha Boy did that sermon. I liked the idea of him just sitting in a pit meditating, as people freaked out over him all across the world. It was his silence that made him so dangerous. Now that he did that sermon, it kinda diminished the importance. I just like the idea of someone doing that without any thought of recognition.

Anonymous said...

I just watched the Discovery Channel program on youtube. Unbelievable! It's really true!