Thursday, January 17, 2008
• Do you Akron folk miss The Lime Spider? Well, I learned Cleveland Magazine reported that The Lime Spider is being reopened as The Lockview. They're 86'ing the live music and debuting a menu centered around gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches.
• Take a moment to learn about the Columbus, Ohio musical institution known as Willie Phoenix.The dude has been playing rock and roll music there for decades and he's not slowing down. Read the article featured in OSU's The Lantern.
• The Chicago Tribune recently put out it's Mid west Travel Guide. That could be pretty interesting. There are a couple Ohio spots listed.
• Here's an article from the Denver Post about a "criminally neglected" musician from the 1980s Midwest scene.
• A Madison, Wisconsin site delves into an article about "three of the best bands the Midwest has to offer: The Box Social, Quinn Scharber and the..., and White Light Riot." Read the whole story.
• Regional writer Alan Sculley interviews The Walkmen for a Wisconsin newspaper at at this link. The Brooklyn band is set to tour through the Midwest over the next few weeks.
• This Iowa newspaper reports about the Vanaver Caravan "Pastures of Plenty" Woody Guthrie tribute show being held in Burlington, Iowa next week.
• Kansas City just got some attention: A three-page spread in the recent AAA Midwest Traveler Magazine. It highlights things to do and it's arts scene.